Wednesday, August 29, 2012


I had another "is this for real?" moment yesterday. I had gotten together with a group of women to can peaches. One of the other ladies has a baby two days older than my little guy. For a good chunk of time both were sleeping, and consequently whenever there was a noise from their corner of the room we would both look over our shoulders. I found myself saying from time to time, if Adam was still out "not mine". It wasn't long ago that I would often hear my mother saying those words when we had new babies (or someone was screaming and...mercifully it wasn't one of my sibs). How on earth did I ever get to the point where I have a baby? We seem to be at this golden stage where...he's just so much fun! He plays with me, he sleeps, he's easily entertained and his needs aren't difficult to ascertain. But who ever thought I was grown up enough to let me have one of my own? I had always thought motherhood would feel like work. I'm sure at some point it will, but I never thought it could be this much fun!

I love that he knows me. That he can look at me with those big, beautiful blue eyes and he knows who I am. I love that I know him better than anyone else. I love that I can tell what his needs are. I love that we get to be this team, he and I. I love that when he's upset, I can comfort him. Before, when I would hold babies...eventually it was inevitable that they would cry and it woud then be time to give them back to a parent. I had always thought "gee what a pain. They cry all the time, how do you deal with that?". I hadn't realized that they cry because they want their mom. He wants ME, he needs ME. And I love to be needed by such a darling little gentleman.

I love watching him learn. And he learns and grows so fast. He's grabbing and grasping at things left and right, and when he's not doing that he's observing the world with such wide-eyed wonder.

At the pool a few days ago he and I were enjoying some quality time in the kiddie pool. We were hanging out when a gaggle of five years olds came running in, and then running out again. As they took off his eyes followed them out. Already I could almost see the look in his eye wishing he was old enough to play with the big kids. My heart almost broke and I just wanted to hold him tight and will him to stay small as long as possible.

I love watching him with his dad. They are the best of buddies. Lately Jim has taken to waking Adam up before work while he gets ready just because he can't stand to miss out on that time with him. Dad is already the fun parent and makes Adam laugh and smile more than I ever can. Earlier this month we were home with my family for a week and a half. It's the longest Jim and I have ever been apart and certainly the longest father and son have been seperated. I was almost worried Adam would forget who his dad was by the time we got back. After all, he was only two months old. But it was so clear while we were away that he missed his dad. Sure enough, when we got home my happy little man came back. I managed to snap this cute bonding moment


Then there was this cute moment the next day


And then finally he'd had enough of the parental paparazzi and said "no more"!




We love this kid!!



1 comment: