Saturday, August 25, 2012

It's the small things...

Two days ago I drove by a store downtown that looked like it was in liquidation. Never one to miss a good sale, of course I had to sneak a peek. I even managed to cajole Jim into accompanying me over lunch, selling him with "they might have winter gear!". Not a total lie, they did, but it was way too picked over by the time we got there. But I digress...

I love a good sale. I am the world's most hungry bargain hunter. My entire wedding to me was essentially a game of "how low can I go". I got my wedding dress for $150 new. Sometimes I am just that good. Anyway, back to the story. Guess what was at this magnificent liquidation sale?!?! A GIANT table full of jeans...for $9 dollars! Name brand jeans, all for $9 dollars! My heart skipped a beat.

And then reality hit once more. At 10 weeks post partum I'm still living between maternity wear and the ever so welcoming sweats and stretchy pants. Jeans are for...other people. I wasn't really even sure what size I might be. But, it couldn't hurt to look right? I owed myself at least that.

And so with some trepidation I approached the table of marked down jeans that couldn't possibly be meant for me. And I searched. Expecting nothing, I handed the baby to his father and bravely entered the changing room. The first pair was a sorry experience, I managed to get one leg in. Sadly jeans were designed for two legs and a waist. Then the next pair was an improvement. When I sucked my tummy in just enough I could do them up...but comfort really didn't factor into that experience. Maybe someday, but not today. And then the third and final pair. One leg was in! Did I dare hope for the second? Yes, YES they fit! Granted there was some stretch to the denim but they were my pre-pregnancy size and they FIT! And to boot, they didn't look half bad either!

I exited the changing room triumphant. Is it wrong that such a small thing made me so happy? I happily paid the $9 to take home the prize of the jeans that gave me hope my body might indeed come back to me someday.

In other news, we took baby back to the pool today with daddy for the first time and THIS time we even managed to sneak in a smile or two! And yesterday we tried out the jolly jumper for the first time. Please find the accompanying adorable video below. I don't think those things have been updated since 1985 but, he didn't seem to mind, so neither did I!


No comments:

Post a Comment